Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Crisis Averted

The other day, I was walking from the kitchen to the bathroom with a gallon of bleach in my hand, when the top popped off and bleach splashed onto the carpet. Thank goodness both Marie and Brent were home. I yelled, "AH! I just spilled bleach on the carpet. Hurry! Hurry!" I put down the container and grabbed the kitchen towels and immediately started soaking up the bleach. Marie ran to the bathroom to get our old towels and Brent got a bucket of water. We took turns soaking up the bleach, pouring water on the site of the spill, and soaking it up more. We repeated this again and again as Marie looked up online about what to do with a bleach spill. Turns out you should do exactly what we did: 1. Immediately, soak up as much as you can. 2. Then dilute the area and continue to blot (not rub) the carpet. They also suggested using a water and vinegar solution, so we did that as well. AMAZINGLY, the carpet did not get bleached. However, my nice kitchen towels did. Oh, well. It could have been a lot worse!


2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Good to know! Glad it worked!

Heather and Spencer said...

I didnt even know that was possible to avaoid a bleach stain/mark! Thanks for the info!!!