Monday, April 4, 2011

The Rodeo

The Houston Rodeo is one of the biggest in the U.S. and definitely the most exciting time of the year around here. This year the Rodeo ran from March 1st-20th with a huge carnival, live stock show, rodeo competitions and big-name concert performers every night. We bought tickets for the night Brad Paisley performed, which also happened to be the first night of the Rodeo Finals. I had never been to a rodeo before, so to be honest, I was mostly going for the concert. But I actually ended up liking the rodeo part the best. It's like the cowboy olympics!!

Here we are in front of Reliant Stadium where it all happens:

Acting "scared" before going on a carnival ride. As you can see, I did not go on it. I have a strong aversion to rides that--every week--are taken down, driven 100s of miles, and put together again. No, thank you.

Proof that we are in Texas: Deep Fried Cheesecake on a Stick!! And no, we did not buy any.

We also could have gotten Steak of a Stick. . . and I think I would have loved that. But we ended up eating elsewhere. Brent had to get a picture though. . .

There was a cool butterfly exhibit and you could watch them coming out of their cocoons.

Other first time experiences: Watching piglet races!!

Brent thought the Turkey legs looked so good. Turns our they aren't so good after about the 5th bite.  I got a meal called a Pulled Pork Sundae-- mashed potatoes, gravy, and pulled pork-- layered in a Sundae cup. Very scary looking, I know. But I had to try it.

 And then the rodeo and concert--- which  together were 4 1/2 hours long. Very entertaining, but we were tired by the end!

The next rodeo is in March 2012!! Who is coming to visit?

2 comments:

Heather and Spencer said...

Being the healthy eater that I am...I totally would have tried that cheesecake! The last fair out here, I totally tried the deep fried Snickers...and it was wonderful! As for the rides? I couldn't agree with you more!!!

Amanda said...

Holy cow—that stadium is HUGE! Texas-size, I guess. I never imagined that many people gathered for a rodeo.